CMEC— Helping all kids access the power of play!
CLICK TO SEE PHOTOS AND READ ABOUT THE FEBRUARY 13 SPECIAL KIDS NIGHT!
Are you the parent or caregiver of a child with special needs? If so, please take advantage of the following resources to help make your child's next visit to the Museum more comfortable. These tools are all offered for FREE thanks to S.P.O.T.S. Pediatric Therapy (part of St. Joseph's hospital)!
1. Check out a Sensory Kit
Each item in these kits are designed to help make your child's visit more comfortable and predictable. Simply visit the front desk to check one out! Each kit contains:
- Disco Seat Cushion- to provide a visual boundary and movement input even when your child needs to sit
- Time-Timer - a timer that doesn’t buzz or beep to help children who cannot tell time yet know when it’s time to transition
- Weighted Neck-Animal - provides calming body input to calm and organize nervous system
- Noise Canceling Headphones - for times your child is upset or distracted by background noise and doesn't need to hear directions
- Fidget Rings - for anxious children or for children who need to ‘touch’ something
- Yellow Thera-tubing - for chewing and touching; provides good feedback to mouth and hands
- Calming Bottle - provides calming visual feedback for children
- Visual Schedule - to provide your child with understanding of what is first, next and when you may need to leave; designed to help children transition through activities at CMEC with less stress
2. Check out a pair of Noise-Cancelling Headphones
We keep several pairs of noise-cancelling headphones available at our Front Desk. Just stop by to check-out a free pair for your child to use during your visit!
3. Download the CMEC Story Map
This map includes pictures of each exhibit along with special notes about lights and sounds that your child will encounter during a Museum visit. This is a great way to prepare your child for what he or she can expect at the Children's Museum. Click the image below to download, or ask for a laminated copy at the Museum's front desk.
4. Sign up for a discounted annual All Play membership!
Thanks to the Play-for-All initiative, families of children with special needs can receive a discounted annual membership For just $10 a year, you and your family can enjoy unlimited visits to the Children's Museum of Eau Claire. This makes it easier for you to take advantage of afternoons and quieter times during Museum open hours. Click the image below to download the All Play membership application. Or call 715-832-5437 to talk to a real person!
5. Attend a Special Day for Special Kids
Four times a year, the Children's Museum of Eau Claire hosts a special afternoon of Museum adventure exclusively for children with special needs! During these events, Museum lights and sounds are turned down, sensory tools and activities are made available and the Museum is closed to the public to provide a safe, quiet environment where our special-est visitors can play and learn. Best of all, these events are always FREE! Check the online Event Calendar to find out when the next special day is being offered.
If you have questions or suggestions about how we can better accommodate your child at CMEC, please don’t hesitate to contact us!