5 Tbsp. Cream of Tartar
3 Cups Flour
¾ Cup Salt
3 Cups Water
3 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
3 Packages Kool-Aid (dry, unsweetened packets; your choice of flavor!) Food Coloring
1. Stir all of the dry ingredients into a large, nonstick pot.
2. Slowly add the water and vegetable oil. Using a large wire whisk, blend the mixture until all the lumps are gone.
3. Whisk in several drops of your choice of food coloring. But don’t worry, the dough will also darken as it cooks.
4. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly with a large spoon until it forms a ball. As the play dough forms a ball, it will get difficult to stir, but keep at it! You’re almost there!
5. Sprinkle flour onto a countertop or cutting board. Let it cool for a few minutes. Then, while the mixture is still warm, knead it on the lightly floured countertop of board for several minutes or until the dough has a soft, satiny feel.
6. Store the dough in a sealed container at room temperature for up to a month. At the Museum, we like to double the recipe and store it in an ice cream bucket!
7. Have fun!