The Children’s Museum of Eau Claire Presents...Our Almost-World-Famous Silky Smooth Scented Play Dough Recipe!
- 5 Tbsp. Cream of Tartar
- 3 Cups Flour
- ¾ Cup Salt
- 3 Cups Water
- 3 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 3 Packages Kool-Aid (dry, unsweetened packets; your choice of flavor!) Food Coloring
- Stir all of the dry ingredients into a large, nonstick pot.
- Slowly add the water and vegetable oil. Using a large wire whisk, blend the mixture until all the lumps are gone.
- Whisk in several drops of your choice of food coloring. But don’t worry, the dough will also darken as it cooks.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly with a large spoon until it forms a ball. As the play dough forms a ball, it will get difficult to stir, but keep at it! You’re almost there!
- Sprinkle flour onto a countertop or cutting board. Let it cool for a few minutes. Then, while the mixture is still warm, knead it on the lightly floured countertop of board for several minutes or until the dough has a soft, satiny feel.
- Store the dough in a sealed container at room temperature for up to a month. At the Museum, we like to double the recipe and store it in an ice cream bucket!
- Have fun!